Search by Crop & Variety: SY Touchstone Hard Red Winter Wheat
1. SY Touchstone is a hard winter wheat bred and developed by Syngenta Seeds, Inc.
2. SY Touchstone was selected for short plant height, high yield potential, and good hard red winter wheat end-use quality using the modified bulk-pedigree method.
3. SY Touchstone has shown good adaptation in the high to moderate rainfall regions of western Idaho, eastern Washington, north-central and northeastern Oregon and irrigated production in the southern Snake River region of Idaho and the irrigated production areas of Washington.
4. SY Touchstone is moderately resistant to current predominant races of stripe rust with no known insect resistance.
5. SY Touchstone is a short, medium maturity hard red winter wheat that has white chaff at harvest maturity.
1. Kind: Hard Red
If common, provide appropriate kernel characteristic: (Hard Red, Soft Red, Hard White, Soft White)
2. Seasonal Growth Habit: Winter
3. Coleoptile Color: White
4. Juvenile Growth Habit: Erect
5. Leaf Color at Boot: Green
6. Flag Leaf at Boot: Re-curved, Twisted, Wax present
7. Auricle Color: White
8. Day(s) to 50% Heading: 148
9. Anther Color: Yellow
10. Anthoncyanin: Absent
11. Plant Height (cm): 82
12. Internodes: Hollow
13. Spike Shape: tapering
14. Spike Density: Lax
15. Spike Curvature: Erect
16. Awn Type: Awned
17. Awn Color: White
18. Glume Color: White
19. Glume Length Long
20. Shoulder Shape: Oblique
21. Shoulder Width: medium
22. Beak Shape: long
23. Beak Length (S.M.L.VL): L
24. Glume Pubescence: absent
25. Seed Color red
26. Seed Shape: ovate
27. Cheeks: rounded
28. Brush Size (S,M,L.): medium
29. Avg 1,000 Kernel Wt (g): 35
30. Physiological/biochemical Traits:
Variants and frequency:
Less than 0.5% of plants were rogued from the Breeder Seed increase. Ninety percent of the variant plants were taller (3 to 10 cm). Ten percent of the variants were awnless as opposed to the predominant awned typed. Up to 1% variant plants may be encountered in subsequent generations. Up to 0.5% white seed may be encountered in all classes of certified production.
6. Syngenta Seeds, Inc. maintains seed stock and certified classes of Foundation, Registered and Certified. Syngenta Seeds, Inc. will maintain the variety by the head row/progeny method to produce breeder seed as needed. Royalty fees are anticipated.
7. Certified seed will likely be available
8. Plant Variety Protection is anticipated in 2016 and SY Touchstone may only be sold as a class of certified seed.
9. Certified acreage is not to be published by AOSCA and certifying agencies.