Search by Crop & Variety: WB7566 Hard White Spring Wheat
1. WB7566 (DA909-325) is a hard white spring wheat developed by the Monsanto LLC.
2. In early generations of WB7566, single spikes were selected based on agronomics and disease resistance. Later generations were selected based on yield, quality, and disease resistance.
3. WB7566 is adapted to the hard spring wheat growing regions of the Southwestern region of the United States.
4. Preliminary data indicates that WB7566 may be resistant Stripe Rust.
5. Identifying characteristics – insert the descriptive term from the Objective Description (pages 3-5) except where indicated:
1. Kind: Hard White
If common, provide appropriate kernel characteristic: (Hard Red, Soft Red, Hard White, Soft White)
2. Seasonal Growth Habit: Spring
3. Coleoptile Color: White
4. Juvenile Growth Habit: Semi-erect
5. Leaf Color at Boot: Green
6. Flag Leaf at Boot: Recurved, twisted, no wax
7. Auricle Color: White
8. Day(s) to 50% Heading:
9. Anther Color: Yellow
10. Anthoncyanin: Absent
11. Plant Height (cm): 56
12. Internodes: Semi-solid
13. Spike Shape: Tapering
14. Spike Density: Middense
15. Spike Curvature: Inclined
16. Awn Type: Awned
17. Awn Color: White
18. Glume Color: White
19. Glume Length Long
20. Shoulder Shape: Apiculate
21. Shoulder Width: Medium
22. Beak Shape: Acuminate
23. Beak Length (S.M.L.VL): Long
24. Glume Pubescence: Absent
25. Seed Color White
26. Seed Shape: Ovate
27. Cheeks: Angular
28. Brush Size (S,M,L.): Short
29. Avg 1,000 Kernel Wt (g):
30. Physiological/biochemical Traits:
Variants and frequency:
A variant that is similar to WB7566 but has red seed occurs at a frequency of up to .2% (20 out 10,000 seeds). A variant that is similar to WB7566 but is 15cm to 20cm taller occurs at a frequency of up to .2% (20/10,000). A bronze head variant may occur at a frequency of .1% (10/10,000). An awnless variant may occur at a frequency of .1% (10/10,000).
6. Recognized classes of WB7566 are breeder, foundation, registered, and certified. Monsanto Company will maintain the variety by the head-row purification method to produce breeder seed as needed and all foundation seed. Royalty fees and/ or licensing agreements are anticipated.
7. Commercial seed of WB7566 will likely be ready for commercial sale by the spring of 2016.
8. Application for a Utility Patent and PVP is anticipated for WB7566, but the option for Title V will not be taken.